Thursday, May 31, 2007

Signs of being Homesick

I am proud to be Singaporean. And am proud of the people, the land and the food. Just thought I would post an entry and show my patriotism cos it's a holiday back home now.
Chili crab.... the succulent flesh and the tasty chilli egg sauce. Dip those fried to golden brown man taos into the sauce. yum yum... I still vouch that the tastiest portion is the crab's mid-body.
Moving off from seafood to .... fish. haha Salmon sashimi. Love it love it love it with the fish roe and the washabi mixed with light soya sauce. Every bite you take, the texture of this lovely fish just overwhelms you. I like it when the flesh has a little bouncy touch to it.
Fishball mee - who can forget what they grew up on. I like mine with meepok, dry, no laa pok, no ketchup, more bean sprouts, and a little chilli. It's one of those foods that will remind me of my childhood. Teochew fishball noodles. Even the name of it has a nice ring to it.

Satay! I really like the pork version. Soft tender and juicy. I hate it when it's too sweet or too chao-ta-ed. The sauce needs to have nicely-grounded nuts to ensure a grindy texture that goes well with the side vegs.
Ok while im here facing daal every single meal of the day, feel free to indulge in these foods on my behalf ok? And don't tell me!

4 comments:

Lady Cupcake said...

you made me miss the SC meepok man :(

it's not gonna be the same without his magic fingers but we'll go back together to SC to eat a big bowl again ok? <3

IndianPrincess said...

babe I miss him too, esp since now that he has gone. You know right? At least the aunty is still there. I miss SC food, one can never get tired of those food.

I like the bao aunty, the snacks aunty, the yong dao fu store was ex- but i liked the cheng teng. Oh I love the porridge from the chicken rice store and the gravy that usually drowns the rice. N the Muslim store for its mee soto!

I like the drinks aunty too, but not the ice-cream aunty. She's always so grumpy.

Lady Cupcake said...

haha omg YES! the bao aunty was the nicest; she always gave me free lianrong bao and hashbrowns after school! i liked yong tau foo there too cos i would choose maggi mee for my noodles. yes, the chicken rice with the shredded chicken and watery brown gravy and sauteed potato slices with tomato sauce. remember?

and we used to buy H2O and make sure the packet was semi-frozen so we had crushed ice inside. the ice-cream aunty scared me too; as did the snackstore aunty. but i liked her egg sandwich and those animal crackers she sold.

we have to go back soon. i miss SC so much :(

IndianPrincess said...

i like the bao aunty too! Always so warm and friendly. Really disliked the grumpy aunties! oh guess what? apparently, they have singapore food fair in south india soon! Well nothing beats eating in a hawker centre itself - chomp chomp or bedok 85.