Sunday, June 3, 2007

A New Kind of Shopping - More sights of India

We went to the equivalent of Sim Lim underground today. The boys go crazy over their silly games and vcds. No wonder they say that men don't grow up. Haha
I like this dome, it reminds me of a mosque of sorts.
This public taxi is GORGEOUS! I think only couples should take this cab. Can u imagine two men taking it? Haha so cheesy...
The reason why Delhi is so safe. The Delhi police. One often sees this police vehicle in the Bollywood action movies. The policemen seem poser- friendly (like to take pics) too!
Somehow I cant explain the attraction for these lively women and their colourful wares. Their bright smiles and banter.
Went to
Cannaut Place with many stalls selling pics, posters, inspirational quotes, etc.
Lady selling colourful cushion covers, quilts, scarves, bags, etc. Love her smile, it's the businessman smile i tell u, to entice people to buy.
Toys- the boats go round n round on the water surface.
Books books books! I think I might end up buying more books here - the nerd in me is calling out.


This little girl was watching me take photos and smiling so much I had to take a photo with her. Her cheerful demeanor and polite manners tugged at my heart when she complimented on the picture with a simple "beautiful".
of course Bert had to sneak back into the bakery to buy more pastries. *He's piling on the pounds i tell u* hehe. Caught him red-handed.
This cute cart stationed at the sides of each road serves to entice weary, thirsty and burnt shoppers with its bright colours, cheerful displays of yellow, orange, green and coke flavours. It's so difficult to find a chilled drink here in Delhi. Come to think of it, I have only had a cold drink once a week?
Didnt know what this boy was doing, but thought it was pretty interesting. Maybe he's selling dried lemons and mangoes. Love the display arrangement though.
Pigeons galore! The people throw seeds to the grounds to feed these birdies. Dont worry daddy, I took this pic from afar and used the zoom function.


Oh look Mommy! Ice-cream!!! I think the cart concepts are so adorable. Treats on wheels.
There was this cart whereby the men were surrounding a guy flipping the bread-like thingies. Doubt it's nan, but it's evidence of the high carb diet here. So interesting to watch streetside food being cooked, but my tummy says "No, No"



This is Sarojini Market - known for cheap buys!
This tailor does alteration services for only 10 ruppees!!
If I ever get bored, I could buy some of these toys to keep me entertained.
Saw this monk walking from stall to stall asking for money and alms. He does resemble a hermit, complete with the walking stick and slippers.
Really like this picture as it shows these women bargaining at a necklace stall. Love the colours and the way they are crowding around. Sounds like a description of a collectivistic culture, which India really is.
The iced bottles and lemon slices may look refreshing and so tempting on a hot hot day but the nagging voice at the back of my head told me that I will only buy bottled water from the supermarkets.
Becos who knows where the water might have come from??? Perhaps this public water pipe? Where men manually pump water into their buckets? Haha I love my body and do not wish to harm it. Better safe than sorry just like what daddy always say ;)






Shopping at the markets really was a big contrast to shopping at the big malls that my neighbourhood has.

No comments: